Sunday, January 30, 2011

Beating Gladys

The big news in the running community is that Gladys Burrill, of Prospect, Oregon, just broke the record for the oldest woman to ever complete a marathon. At the age of 92, Gladys finished the Honolulu Marathon in 9:53:16 on Dec. 12, 2010.

Gladys ran her first marathon at age 86 (this is not a typo!), has run several marathons since then, and enjoys her new sport. But she needs another goal - and she says that would be climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro.

I haven't met Gladys Burrill but I am inspired by her. She is my role model. But also my competition...

I am thrilled and awed and so grateful to all the people who have gotten me here that I have qualified for the Boston Marathon. I hope that running it on April 18th will be one of the happiest days of my life.

Now I need new goals. Marathon tourism (come join me in London next year!) and getting friends and family into fitness are my new goals. But after hearing about Gladys, I realize that in a little over 41 years, I need to be the oldest woman in the world to run a marathon.

Sorry about that Gladys, but you know how it is. Records are made to be broken!

No comments:

Post a Comment